Foreign citizens and freelancers who have the freedom of working from any corner of the world, or who simply benefit from relaxed schedules are called digital nomads. This is a trend that has become more and more popular in countries all over the world, which is why many countries have created special programs for those who wanted to live in one country while servicing employers or clients in other states.
This can also be a dream come true for people interested in living in the USA, while working for employers in their home countries, for example. Even if there is no specific digital nomad visa in USA, there are programs that allow foreigners to do just that: combine the benefits of living here with working remotely.
Below, our immigration lawyers in Miami invite you to discover your options as a digital nomad in the United States. In case you need to apply for another types of visa, such as the spouse visa for US, the tourist visa or the business visa, our team can definitely assist you.
A digital nomad according to modern living
The term “digital nomad” has been around for a while, however, it wasn’t until the Covid-19 pandemic, when remote work was possible more than ever, that it became a trend. Employed in the IT sector until the pandemic broke out, now, it is available in more and more countries. There are many states worldwide that have created specific programs for those interested in traveling and working remotely at the same time.
There is no special digital nomad visa in US yet, however, the States has so many other types of visas and residence permits a foreign citizen can access that living here and working for employers all over the world, or even as freelancers is not a problem.
If you are interested in the nomad lifestyle and you want to live in the USA while having a stable source of income, our immigration law firm in USA is at your service if you want to relocate here.
Types of visas for digital nomads in the United States
There are several types of visas that can qualify as a digital nomad visa in USA. These are:
- – the H visa, which is divided into 3 sub-categories and addresses people with a college degree;
- – the I visa, which is available for people working in the press and media sectors;
- – the O visa, which is available for talented people who excel in various fields and are recognized as highly skilled migrants.
Apart from these, there are also investor visas, however, these imply making a significant financial contribution to the economy, hence they come with more stringent requirements.
If you want to obtain a digital nomad visa in the United States by applying for one of the residence permits presented above, you can rely on our immigration lawyer in Miami. If you are interested in obtaining another type of visa, such as the spouse visa for US, you can get in touch with our team of attorneys for specialized legal assistance.
The H visa for digital nomads in the US
In most countries that have enabled digital nomad visa programs, such visas are awarded for limited periods of time, which is why the H visa is the one that resembles most with these schemes.
There are 3 subcategories of this visa, namely:
- the H-1 visa which is available for people with a college degree or who have work experience in various fields (this type of visa is issued for 3 years);
- the H-2A visa is issued to seasonal and temporary workers in agriculture and is available for a maximum of one year;
- the H-2B visa which is available for non-agricultural activities and is also issued for a maximum period of one year;
- the H-3 visa is available for people interested in training activities (there are a few fields for which such a visa is not available).
There are certain conditions that need to be respected by both the applicant (who needs to have college degrees in the field they will work in), as well as by the employer that needs to prove there is a lack on the US market for such specialists. With respect to the H-3 visa, it cannot be accessed by people who work in the medical field or who need special education.
If you want to apply for this visa and move to the USA as a digital nomad, our lawyers who specialize in immigration to Miami can assist you.
How many foreigners live in the United States?
The USA is one of the most sought countries foreign citizens are interested in immigrating to, and the number of foreigners established here in the past few years is impressive. According to data issued by Migrationpolicy.org, at the level of 2019, there were 44.9 million immigrants living here. Also:
- the same year, the immigrant population represented 13.7% of the country’s total population;
- between 2018 and 2019, 204,000 foreign citizens migrated to the US, representing an increase of 0.5%;
- Mexicans represent the most numerous expat community in the US – 24% of the immigrants are of Mexican descent.
If you want to apply for a digital nomad visa in USA, our immigration lawyer in the United States is at your service, so do not hesitate to contact us.