1) Our website uses cookies for statistical purposes.
2) Please DO NOT regard our articles as Legal Advice. For Legal Advice please contact an Attorney.
3) This Website is owned by BridgeWest, an International Legal Network.

Our Articles

Immigrate to the USA from New Zealand

Immigrate to the USA from New Zealand

If you plan to immigrate to the USA from New Zealand, you have several options. One of the most common is employment. However, if you don’t know what type of visa to choose, you can simply travel to the USA and stay for up to 90 days under the Visa Waiver Program.

If you already have plans in place and only need assistance with the relocation formalities, our immigration lawyers in Miami are here to help you. Before that, let’s review some particularities for those who want to move to the USA from New Zealand.

Temporary stay options for people seeking to relocate to the USA from New Zealand

Starting a new life in a foreign country, especially at the other end of the world implies making some big decisions. If you do not know how you’ll adjust, you can immigrate to the USA from New Zealand for a short while. Here are some simple options:

  • the above-mentioned Visa Waiver Program is a great variant if you are interested in knowing more about the American lifestyle or if you have family members living here, however, your stay here cannot surpass 90 days;
  • if you want to stay more than 90 days, the B-1 business visa is a great option if you are an entrepreneur seeking to move to the USA from New Zealand later on – you can use this visa for up to 180 days;
  • if you want to immigrate to the USA for employment, there are several options you can avail yourself of, some of them with a duration of stay of one year, others of a maximum 3 years.

Please note that each of these visas does not come with direct access to the US Green Card. Additionally, they all have various requirements you need to meet. In this case, you can consult with our immigration lawyer in the United States to ensure your selection suits the purpose and duration of your stay.

Visas that enable you to obtain a Green Card as a New Zealander

If you enter the category of people who are interested in immigration to the USA from New Zealand permanently, here is a selection of visas you can choose from:

  • temporary work visas, such as the H-1B, L-1, O-1, E-1, and TN visas (our immigration lawyer in Miami can present them all in detail);
  • family reunion visas, such as the US spouse visa, if you are married to an American citizen (alternatively, you can choose the fiancé visa);
  • US investor visas, such as the ones entering the EB-5 category.

In the case of non-immigrant visas, when applied for employment ones, these can be converted into immigrant ones, thus simplifying the access to a Green Card.

You can rely on our US immigration lawyers if you want to apply for any of them.

Green Card options for New Zealanders

If you want to relocate to the USA from New Zealand and apply for a Green Card directly, the two available options are:

  • employment-based residency;
  • family reunion residency.

It is quite common for people to immigrate to the US from New Zealand based on employment, with Irish citizens being known for using the second option more.

No matter your choice, you can rely on our immigration lawyers in the USA for assistance. Please note the duration of obtaining a Green Card which can range from 6 months to more than a few years, depending on the number of applicants.

New Zealanders in the United States

Statistics on the number of New Zealand citizens are quite old, however, many of those who live in the USA choose large cities like New York, Boston, Miami, and San Francisco. This way, when moving here, you can search for communities in some of these metropolises.

Additionally, before leaving your home country, you can also seek for information from the American Chamber of Commerce in New Zealand.

Please contact us if you want to immigrate to the USA from New Zealand and need legal assistance.