The United States attracts thousands of people every year, many of them from Asian countries, as the number of immigrants from that side of the world is quite large. This is also the case of Filipinos interested in obtaining US green cards that enable them to live here permanently.
There are several ways in which such permits can be obtained, so if you want to immigrate to the USA from the Philippines, this article can be a guide on relocation. However, from a practical point of view, it is best to address one of our immigration lawyers in the US to ensure the success of your application.
Options for people moving to the USA from the Philippines
Filipinos can apply for one of two types of visas to relocate the USA:
- non-immigrant visas which can be used if you are visiting the US for short terms related to business or tourism;
- immigrant visas if you intend to stay in the USA permanently.
You must ensure that you are applying for a suitable visa based on the purpose of your relocation in order to check all US immigration requirements.
When immigrating to USA from the Philippines, you must apply for an immigrant visa if you intend to move permanently to the USA. You must also have sponsorship from a US citizen, a family member who is a lawful permanent resident, or an employer (if you have found a job here).
If you decide on Florida, our immigration lawyers in Miami are at your disposal.
The immigrant visa – one of the best options for relocating to USA from the Philippines
There are several types of US immigrant visas you can apply for permanent relocation to the US from the Philippines, as you can read below:
- family-based immigration visas;
- marriage or US spouse visas;
- employment-based and investor visas;
- returning resident visas.
The process of requesting an immigrant visa begins with the sponsor submitting a petition to the Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on the applicant’s behalf. Our US immigration attorneys can handle this process. Please mind that entry visas may also be required based on your status.
Family-based immigration from the Philippines to the United States
According to the latest statistics, at the level of 2019, Filipinos represented the third-largest Asian community in the United States, which is why family reunion is one of the main pathways for them to move here.
Among the options you have if you choose this pathway to move to the USA from the Philippines are:
- the Petition for Alien Relative for being sponsored by a family member who is a resident of the USA (I-130);
- the Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (I-485);
- the Petition for Alien Fiancé (I-129F) for obtaining a K-1 fiancé visa.
To find out more about the eligibility conditions, you can talk to one of our professionals in the field of US immigration.
In order to qualify for a Green Card for the USA, you must live here for 3 or 5 years, depending on the means of immigration.
How many Filipinos live in the USA?
As stated above, Filipinos are the third largest community of Asians, after the Chinese and the Indian ones. Also, according to news in this magazine:
- at the level of 2019, there were more than 4.2 million Filipinos living in America;
- they represented about 18% of the Asian population in the country;
- a little over 500,000 of them lived in the area of Los Angeles, however, San Francisco and New York are also cities many of them live in.
If you need support in relocating to the US from the Philippines, do not hesitate to contact our immigration lawyers in the United States.