1) Our website uses cookies for statistical purposes.
2) Please DO NOT regard our articles as Legal Advice. For Legal Advice please contact an Attorney.
3) This Website is owned by BridgeWest, an International Legal Network.

Our Articles

Immigrate to USA from Puerto Rico

Immigrate to USA from Puerto Rico

The citizens of Puerto Rico who are interested in immigration in U.S., do not need to obtain a visa in order to relocate in this country, due to the fact that Puerto Rico is considered an American territory. Persons who have Puerto Rican citizenship are allowed to enter the United States of America (USA) without obtaining specific visas, as this action is seen as internal migration. If you want to move to USA from Puerto Rico, our immigration attorney in USA can offer legal advice on this matter. We will also guide you through the process of applying for a residence permit in USA.

If you want to immigrate to USA from South American states, we can assist you.

Puerto Ricans entering US

The citizens of Puerto Rico have the legal statute of U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents

Those interested in relocating to U.S., are not required to present a U.S. passport. At the same time, they can enter the state without applying for a Green Card

It is recommended to bring a photo ID issued by the government, as well as a copy of the birth certificate

It is also important to know that such citizens have to present relevant documents attesting the fact that they qualify under the U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Resident policy, in the situation in which the local authorities may require these official documents (the green card or the passport). 

From a legal point of view, all Puerto Ricans who were born after 13th January 1941 is considered American citizens. However, citizens born prior to this date have also been granted with this legal right. They need to apply for citizenship if they want to move to USA. Our US immigration lawyer can help in this matter.

You can also rely on us if you want to apply for the investor visa for the USA. Also known as the EB-5 visa, it can be obtained from abroad or while in the United States. Each procedure has different requirements, which is why it is best to rely on our immigration lawyers’ support. Contact us for guidance!

U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Resident status 

Persons who want to relocate to USA and qualify as a Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR) are automatically granted with the legal right of having the permanent residency in U.SOur immigration lawyer in Miami can offer in-depth information on the LPR regulation and on USA citizenship.

The LPR automatically provides several rights and obligations for the respective recipient. Our immigration lawyer in the US can offer more information on this topic.

In this sense, we mention the following: 

•    the right to live permanently in U.S.;
•    the right to work in U.S.;
•    the right to own property; 
•    enroll in various American institutions, such as schools or universities. 

Under the LPR, the Puerto Rican citizens are allowed to apply for a family based petition, through which they are entitled to obtain permanent residency for other members of the family, who may not directly qualify as LPR in Miami, U.S

It is important to know that, although the Puerto Ricans are generally considered American citizens, they are not allowed to participate at the U.S. elections. In case you want to immigrate to USA from Puerto Rico, our lawyers can give you more details.

You can also apply for a US green card through the yearly Diversity Green Card Lottery, which selects 55,000 candidates to submit applications to immigrate to the United States. These applicants come from nations that are underrepresented among immigrants to the United States, such Estonia, Lithuania, or Ukraine.

We are also at your disposal if you want to apply for a US spouse visa. Our immigration lawyers will explain the details and particularities of such a visa and will help you apply for it. We can handle the document preparation and submission with the immigration authorities. Please mind that part of the process will be conducted in your home country.

Puerto Ricans who need further information on how to enter and apply for a residence permit in USA, are invited to contact our Miami immigration lawyer