Our website uses  cookies for statistical purposes.

Our Articles

Immigrate to USA from Spain

Immigrate to USA from Spain

With large communities of Spanish-speaking people in major cities, the United States continues to attract not only Mexicans but also Spanish citizens who decide to move here. Immigration from Spain to USA is possible in several ways, by applying for non-immigrant and immigrant visas, however, permanent residence is what most foreigners look for when choosing the US.

If you want to immigrate to the US from Spain and need support, our immigration lawyers in Miami can help you. They can assist Spanish citizens who want to apply for any type of visa.

US free visa entrance for Spanish citizens

Before deciding on permanent immigration from Spain to USA, it is useful to note that one has the possibility to travel to the United States through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) system. An ESTA authorization has a validity of 2 years. This means that Spanish citizens do need to apply and wait for months for visa approval. Moreover, they can stay here for up to 90 days.

The Work and Travel program is another way through which students can come to the USA and live the American dream before deciding to immigrate to USA from Spain indefinitely.

Once the decision was made, one can simply get in touch with our immigration lawyer in the US and start the relocation formalities.

Immigration from Spain to USA and the main types of residence permits

Compared to European countries that have several types of residence permits and visas set in place for various purposes of stay, the USA provides the Green Card that enables one to apply directly for permanent residence. Non-immigrant visas can also be obtained; however, these are usually issued to tourists, students, and seasonal workers.

If you want to move to USA from Spain permanently, you can request the assistance of our US immigration law firm and apply for a Green Card.

The main ways through which Spanish citizens can obtain Green Cards

Immigration from Spain to USA based on a Green Card is possible in 2 ways:

  • through employment;
  • through family links.

Each comes with its requirements, however, the procedure is the same. The main difference resides in the documents one must file to obtain the Green Card.

Humanitarian, diversity, and long-time residency can also lead to US Green Cards for Spanish citizens, but these are not that often requested.

Feel free to address your question on how to immigrate to US from Spain to our immigration specialists in Miami.

The most applied for Green Card is the employment-based one, as it is issued under 5 different categories, depending on the level of proficiency of the applicant, as follows:

  • the EB-1, EB-2, EB-3, and EB-4 visas are issued based on the skills of the employee and may require for the employer to sponsor the applicant;
  • the EB-5 visa is available for investors who have between USD 500,000 and USD 1 million to create jobs for American citizens.

Immigration from Spain to USA by obtaining a Green Card may take between 10 and 12 months.

Feel free to ask for advice on all the requirements of the employment-based Green Card if you want to move to the United States from Spain. We are also at your service if you want to apply for a US spouse visa.

How many Spanish citizens live in the USA?

According to research, in 2017 there were nearly 810,000 Spaniards living in the USA. Furthermore:

  • they rank 9th in terms of population of the Hispanic origin;
  • they also represent 1% of the US total population;
  • approximately 48% of foreign-born Spanish citizens have been living here for more than 20 years, while 46% of them are already US citizens.

If you wish to immigrate to USA from Spain, do not hesitate to get in touch with our immigration lawyer in Miami.