The United States is a dream destination for many foreign citizens, however, in order to move here, there are various formalities that need to be completed. Starting with choosing a type of visa to the actual immigration process which can prolong for months, one has to be patient before entering the States.
This is also the case of people who want to move to USA from India, however, an important aspect to consider is that Indian migration to this country has started in the early 1800s.
Below, our immigration lawyers in Miami explain the procedures under which Indian citizens can relocate to the US. We can provide tailored assistance to those who want to relocate to the USA from India.
Options for immigration to USA from India
There are many Indian citizens living in the United States, so one of the best ways of moving here is through family reunification. However, there are also other paths these can immigrate to the US.
Among the main options one has to move to USA from India are:
- through employment visas as there are several categories of such permits that can be obtained,
- through student visas as foreign students can integrate into the local workforce easily,
- through investment which implies starting a business in the USA,
- with family members by applying for the Green Card Lottery.
Out of all these options, employment and investor visas are among the most requested by those who want to relocate to USA from India.
If you should decide on Florida, our immigration lawyer in USA is at your service for guidance in applying for the desired visa.
How easy is it to move to USA from India through employment visas?
People who want to immigrate from India to the United States can apply for employment visas during the fiscal year which here starts on October 1st and ends September 30th the following year. The US Government issues around 140,000 work visas to qualified persons from all over the world.
Those who want to apply for such a visa must know that there are 5 categories of employment-related residence cards available. These are:
- employment visas for priority workers (the E-1 visa),
- employment visas for persons with extraordinary abilities and advanced degrees (the E-2 visa),
- employment visas for unskilled, skilled workers and professionals (the E-3 visa),
- employment visas for special immigrants (the E-4 visa),
- employment visas for investors (the E-5 visa).
Under some of these permits, citizens of India are allowed to relocate to the USA with their families.
If want to move to USA from India under any of the categories of visas presented above, our immigration law firm in Miami can help you.
Family-based immigration from India to the USA
California, Illinois, New Jersey, and Texas host the largest communities of citizens of Indian descent which is why immigrating to USA from India based on family reunification is a preferred option for the citizens of this country.
The advantage one will have if he or she will decide to move to the USA from India based on a family-related visa is the possibility of obtaining a Green Card (the permanent residence permit). In order to relocate this way, an Indian citizen must have a sponsor who must be a US Green Cardholder or a US citizen who has already turned 21 years old. There are also certain financial requirements to meet, however, these vary from state to state.
The following types of family-related visas an Indian citizen can obtain with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS):
- the immediate relative residence permit which has no limitation when it comes to the number of visas that can be issued in a year,
- the family preference residence permit which has a limited number and can be obtained by those who have distant relatives living in the USA.
Moving to the USA from India is the attention of our immigration lawyers in the United States who can guide the citizens of this country in obtaining suitable visas.
How easy is it to move to USA from India?
It is quite easy to move to USA from India considering that the population of Indian citizens forms one of the largest communities in this country. As a matter of fact, it is the second-largest community here.
According to MigrationPolicy.org:
- in 2018, 5.9% of the US foreign-born population had Indian descent,
- between 2014 and 2018, the largest community of Indians was in California – nearly 20%,
- Texas and New Jersey with 10% each were the second most populated states by Indians,
- in 2019, approximately 2.7 million Indian residents were living in the US.
If you want to move to USA from India and need support, you can rely on our immigration lawyers in Miami for assistance. Do not hesitate to contact us.