As a permanent resident (green card holder), an individual has certain rights and obligations in the U.S. According to the official authorities, the rights and duties of a U.S. permanent resident are as follows.
Our immigration lawyer in USA invites you to read below on this topic. You can also count on us if you want to apply for a residence permit in USA.
Rights of a permanent resident in the U.S.
After becoming a permanent resident in the U.S., a person has the rights to:
• Live in the U.S. on a permanent basis, if the person in question does not commit any deeds which would lead to his or her removal from the country according to the immigration legislation. An immigration attorney in Miami can provide more details on this matter;
• Work in the U.S. in any job according to the individual’s preference and qualifications, although there are certain jobs that are not accessible for security reasons;
• The rights of a U.S. permanent resident include being protected by all legislation in the U.S., the state where the person resides, and local jurisdictions.
Permanent residents also have the right to USA citizenship.
The US investor visa is one of the best options for people who want to start their own businesses or become owners of existing companies while moving permanently to the United States. However, there are also types of visas available for foreign entrepreneurs. Depending on your skills, the amount of money you can invest, and other particular conditions, you can choose the type of visa you want to apply for with our help.
Duties of a permanent resident in the U.S.
In the same time, the duties of a permanent resident in the U.S. are:
• The obligation to respect all laws of the U.S. and localities;
• The resident has to file his or her income tax returns and state his or her income to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and state taxation authorities;
• The responsibility to upkeep the democratic form of government and not alter the government by unlawful means;
• The compulsion, applied for men between 18 and 25 years of age, to register with the Selective Service System (a federal agency in the U.S. that enables the mobilization of military forces).
The residence permit in USA can be obtained in direct and indirect ways and our immigration lawyers in the United States can offer more information.
If you want to apply for a spouse visa for the US, you can rely on our lawyers. They are at your disposal no matter the county he or she comes from. The duration to obtain the visa depends on how soon you have the paperwork ready, but also on how quickly you can schedule the visa interview. Feel free to contact us for support.
Taxation for permanent residents in the U.S.
An important immigration issue in Miami is the taxation for green card holders. According to the IRS, a permanent resident’s income in the U.S. is commonly subject to taxation in the same way as a U.S. citizen.
The duties of a permanent resident in the U.S. include reporting all interest, dividends, salary, or other forms of compensation for rendered services, income deriving from the rental of real estate or royalties, and other categories of income on his or her tax return in the U.S. These have to be reported no matter if they derive from a U.S. source or a foreign one.
If you need further details, we invite you to contact our immigration lawyers in Miami. We can also help you apply for USA citizenship.