1) Our website uses cookies for statistical purposes.
2) Please DO NOT regard our articles as Legal Advice. For Legal Advice please contact an Attorney.
3) This Website is owned by BridgeWest, an International Legal Network.

Our Articles

Immigrate to USA from Hong Kong

Immigrate to USA from Hong Kong

Those who want to immigrate to the USA from Hong Kong must follow the same regulations as citizens of other countries. They can do that by applying for non-immigrant or immigrant resident visas, depending on their reason for relocation.

Below, immigration lawyers in the United States explain how one can move to the United States from Hong Kong by covering various scenarios.

Steps for immigration to the USA from Hong Kong

People who want to relocate to the USA from Hong Kong must follow a specific process. The entire immigration procedure is specifically designed to accommodate the type of visa you are requesting. The steps to complete usually imply:

  1. selecting the kind of visa;
  2. meeting the prerequisites to obtain the desired visa;
  3. pay for the application fees and expenses;
  4. file the visa application;
  5. wait for approval for the visa;
  6. immigrate to the USA.

Our immigration lawyer in Miami would like to point out that following these specific steps are important no matter the type of visa you apply for, including when filing for a US green card.

Relocating to the United States comes with a lot of possibilities. These choices are customized based on a number of factors, including diversity, employment, and family.

Types of family-based visa when moving to the USA from Hong Kong

Based on the relationship with a US citizen or lawful permanent resident family member, a citizen of the Hong Kong Special Region may be eligible for one of green cards. The advantage of family-based immigration visas is that they enable you to live and work in the United States.

US citizens or permanent residents can bring family members such as spouses, parents, children, or siblings.  The following types of visas can be used for relocating to the USA from Hong Kong without worrying for a cap in the numbers:

  • the IR-1 spouse of an American national visa;
  • the IR-2 child of a US citizen who is single and under the age of 21 visa;
  • the IR-3 US citizen adopting an orphan overseas visa;
  • the IR- 4 orphan to be adopted by a citizen of the United States visa;
  • the IR-5 parent of a citizen of the United States who is at least 21 years old visa.

If you want to apply for a US spouse visa, you can rely on our Miami-based immigration law firm. We can also assist if you want to bring other family members from Hong Kong.

Immigrate to the USA from Hong Kong for employment

Hong Kong nationals are allowed to reside and work permanently in the United States based on employment-based green cards. People with highly sought-after skills, including scientists, engineers, or healthcare professionals, are frequently given preference when applying for these visas.

Candidates who want to move to USA from Hong Kong must have a job offer from a US employer who will sponsor their application. Green cards based on employment fall into several types, each with its own qualifying standards and application procedures. Priority laborers, highly qualified professionals, and specific special immigrants are some of these groups.

The following individuals with work green cards are eligible to apply for permanent residency:

  • the EB-1 Green Card for Priority Workers;
  • the EB-2 Green Card for Professionals with remarkable Ability;
  • the EB-3 Green Card category for professionals and skilled workers, as well as other non-seasonal or temporary workers;
  • the EB-4 Green Card for exceptional Immigrants category;
  • the EB-5 US Investor Visa.

Our immigration lawyers in Miami are at your service if you decide to relocate to the State of Florida.

According to the latest information:

  •  the number of Hong Kong immigrants in the USA was 280,000 in 2021;
  • they represent about 10% of the 2.4 million Chinese citizens living in the USA.

For support in immigrating to the USA from Hong Kong, please contact our US immigration lawyers.