1) Our website uses cookies for statistical purposes.
2) Please DO NOT regard our articles as Legal Advice. For Legal Advice please contact an Attorney.
3) This Website is owned by BridgeWest, an International Legal Network.

Our Articles

Obtain a Student Visa for U.S.

Obtain a Student Visa for U.S.

Usually, a resident of a foreign republic who wants to pass in the United States must first get a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for transitory stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence.

As our immigration lawyers in Miami recommend, you need to have an F-1 student visa to study in the U.S.

People of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) joining republics who propose to study cannot travel on the VWP or on visitor visas, except to assume recreational study as part of a tourist official visit.  We can help obtain this visa, as well as a residence permit in USA.

What kind of U.S. visas the future students need?

Students that want to enter the United States to attend a college or a university, seminary, elementary school, academic institution or conservatory will need an F visa. Our immigration attorneys in USA can help foreign students obtain this type of visa.

For professional or other accepted non-academic organizations, other than a language teaching program, an M visa is needed.

Education leading to a U.S. deliberated degree or diploma is not allowed on a visitor visa, even if it is for a small period. For example, distance learning which needs a period of time on the institute’s U.S. university grounds involves an F-1 visa, as our immigration attorney in the USA recommends. We also recommend using our services for obtaining a residence permit in USA.

Before you can apply at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate for an F or M student visa, you need first to apply and be accepted by a SEVP (student and exchange visitor program) recognized school.

When you are accepted by the United States school you propose to join, you will be registered in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and then the student needs to pay the SEVIS I-201 tax

Our immigration lawyers in the United States can give you more information about this procedure, as well as on the USA F-1 visa for intra-company transfers.

The U.S. school will deliver the I-20 form to present to the consular officer when you will attend your visa interview

If your wife and children intend to live with you in the U.S. while you study, they need to get separate Form I-20s, without paying the SEVIS tax. We can also help you apply for USA citizenship.

You can also apply for an investment visa in the USA if you’re a foreign national, but you’ll need to get through a preliminary qualification process first. You must meet a number of standards in order to be a potential investor, including possessing a net worth. This is why before filing for it, it advisable to request the assistance of our US immigration attorneys.

Applying for a U.S. visa

According to our immigration lawyer in USA there are a few steps to apply for a visa and the order of these stages and how you complete them may differ at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you want to apply. 

As a reminder, the students need to plan an appointment for the visa discussion, usually, at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the state they live in. 

If you already scheduled the interview you have to be attentive that it may be problematic to be suitable for a visa outside your place of permanent home.

For any other information regarding student visas or F-1 visas don’t hesitate to contact our US immigration law firm. We will also help you with USA citizenship matters.